Setting on Fall/Winter Trends Lightly


As the Special Anniversary/Fall Edition of Vogue arrived – breaking my postman’s back – I couldn’t help but squeal with delight over all the fanciful clothing, opulent shoes and sumptuous accessories located within the pages of that elephant folio.

I was in heaven as I looked upon all the fashion in that tome and I dreamed about what I would wear in my fantasy fashion life. http://allthingsfashionating.blogspot.com/2012/08/my-real-fashion-life-vs-my-fantasy.html

The good news is I was able to take those high fashion trends and transform them into outfits that could have a place in my actual fashion life.

In my real world, I walk a fine line to ensure that I don’t overdo it on trends.  There are definitely events which call for that WOW outfit, but in my day-to-day, I like to be on-spot and look cutting edge without going overboard.

The term oxblood instantly conjures up unwanted images in my brain of unlucky livestock or the playroom of pain but, in fashion reality, it is a color that must be in every woman’s closet this Fall/Winter.

For me, I’m going to add a pair of oxblood colored shoes, which (trust me) will be the new black of the season, into my repertoire to take me from home to work to play. 

Right now, I’m loving these Pour La Victorie pumps which combine a few trends – pointy toe pump and sexy ankle strap – into one bloody hell of a shoe.

 

Pour La Victorie Turner Pump available on www.piperlime.com for $250.

Don’t be intimidated by the flamboyantly embroidered Folksy minxes who clomped down Fashion Week runways, because you too can go for baroque. 

There is no need to look like Heidi on steroids, just follow my lead. I have been known to take a bold and lively pant like J. Crew’s Collection Café Capris in Jacquard Jade and pair it with chunky sweater or sweatshirt over a crisp collared shirt and pulling it all together with a pale heel.  This way a little folk goes a long way.



J. Crew Collection Café Capris in Jacquard Jade available at www.jcrew.com, $198.

Another hot trend that I am definitely onboard with is metal collars.  I love them because they can be worn like a necklace but they add so much panache – in a safe way – to any outfit.  I see myself wearing it with a pretty tank, skinny jeans and a blazer or even pairing it with a LBD.


Sparked Agate Bib Necklace available at www.anthropologie.com for $58.

When I worked with Betsey Johnson in the early 90s, peplum was huge.  I had a few pieces from Betsey’s Geranium Collection and a peplum dress was my favorite.  What’s old is new again, which is why I am going to hit H&M this weekend to pick up its new leather peplum top for a steal at $50.



H&M Leather peplum top available at select stores only.

First, I love the peplum style because it is great at hiding figure flaws but this leather piece is a must have for me because I can imagine wearing it in so many different ways even to work.

And this time, my husband will be happy because I have the ability to style from my own closet with the most perfect neutral colored pencil skirt that I picked up at Nordstrom last year. By adding an unassuming sandal and day clutch (also in my closet), I am office ready.

There are so many trends and so little time.  My advice is stick to what works for your body type and style sense. By staying on the safe side of the precipice of trends, it is possible to avoid free-falling into the abyss of fashion disaster.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two In-Vince-able Collections

I Was a Club MTV Dancer

For The Love of Shopping