NYFW Titillates My Fashion Senses

One of the things that I would like to do before I die is attend fashion week in New York City.  OK, I would take Paris too; but, since New York is like an old friend to me, I know that I would love the vibe in the Big Apple best.

So every February and September when I hear the buzz about the upcoming Mercedes Benz fashion week, I get this unfounded excitement as if I will actually be there. I experience a titillating exhilaration for the unknown fashion which will be trending the following season. 

Yet, living in LA and ensconced  my normal existence, I am not assaulted by the news of fashion week in New York.

I have to fight for my exposure through social media (thank you Twitter), my new best friends (all the fashion bloggers extraordinaire that I now follow religiously – and those who actually got seats at the shows – Bitches! Yet, I mean that in the most endearing way), and just searching any online publication.

Courtesy: Rebecca Minkoff

Yesterday, Lincoln Center and lesser venues said good-bye to the Demi-Gods of fashion: models boarded planes to London; clothing was delicately placed back in its garment bags; and janitors folded up those metal chairs that, for one fleeting moment, were the most coveted seats in New York City.

However, now it is time for the big reveal that allows us mere mortals to see what trends lay ahead for women in Spring 2012.

I am truly happy that we are finally seeing more sophisticated silhouettes.  As I have posted before, the past few years have been a bit difficult for me because, as I approached and now passed 40-years-old, I have a more mature style palette.  So, it has been harder for me to feel comfortable and pull off trendier, youthful designs. 

Sadly, I am officially no longer Forever 21 since – that number doubled – is the sum of my age today. But I am happy to report that I have absolutely no trepidation about chic styles that I saw clomping down the catwalk.

This spring, sheer fabrics will play a major role: you will see blouses, skirts, and dresses even some with flower-patterned fabrics and flowery appliques.

One dress in Rachel Roy’s collection had a refreshing, cool raspberry sherbet color mixed with blooming blossoming prints.

Courtesy: Callula Lillibelle
Designers like Caroline Herrera revealed fashions for sophisticated and demure women: Grecian gowns and pant suits; lady-like dresses in primary colors with accent colors of red; 40s style polka dot dresses; and palazzo pants dotted the runways.

Thom Browne wowed with his menswear-inspired line which showed double breasted overcoats, blazers, trousers, long evening gowns with plunging necklines in black, white and camel.  Very incarnate of Marlene Dietrich which reigns supreme this fall with designs like Gucci. [See my post "Gaga for Gucci" July 13, 2011.]

Although the 40s were not the only vintage era represented at the NY shows, the 80s are still hanging in there with color-blocking, bright neon hues, and drapey linen suits – shown in shorts and long pants – reminiscent of Miami Vice. 

Lastly, I thought Donna Karan’s collection represented a little bit of it all.  Her line was sassy and edgy:  form-fitting dresses in tribal prints; intricate draping in colors such as burnt orange and muted limes; plunging neck lines which mirrored high slits; lots of fur; and those deep jewel tones continue to hold their own as we anticipate the arrival of cooler temps.

So what that my butt didn’t have a much sought-after front row seat at the most popular shows; this weekend I will pick up every fashion rag at the market and live vicariously through all those editors and bloggers...all from a coveted seat on my couch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Was a Club MTV Dancer

Two In-Vince-able Collections

For The Love of Shopping