A Perilous Pack: One Woman and Three Days in NOLA

All weekend long, I had been thinking about what I wanted to post for my personal essay.  There was really no topic out there that I felt passionate or intrigued to write about.  I realized that I was experiencing writer’s block due to being preoccupied with preparing for a girl’s trip which was looming on the horizon.

I am flying to New Orleans this weekend – with a few of my closest girlfriends – to celebrate our friend Linda’s 40th birthday and her upcoming nuptials.

I am super excited for several reasons: I am so happy for Linda and excited to celebrate with her; we have several fun events planned; and I have never been to the Big Easy before.

With my typical Type “A” personality and love of (slave to) fashion, I started thinking about my outfits for this trip a few weeks ago.  I took inventory of my walk-in and started researching by perusing fashion rags and checking my usual online shopping sites to get inspired.

After making a few purchases and working with what I already had in my closet, I had come up with the perfect pack; however – as is also typical of me – now in the 11th hour, I don’t like anything in my suitcase and am rethinking the whole thing.

Now, it’s not really a matter of that I don’t know what to pack; it is more about second guessing myself especially since I have never been to NOLA before.  In addition to the prediction of hot, humid, and rainy weather; I am really at a loss as to what I am going to want to wear.

For example, when I went to Paris three years ago, I pretty much packed a steamer trunk in order to be prepared for any fashion situation encountered in the city of lights. 

I felt prepared and didn’t look back with the exception of the decision to wear my C’est Moi Louboutins while shopping on the Champs-Élysées. After a few hours, I found myself teetering down the rue as if I suffered from Chinese foot binding.

I seriously don't want to make the same mistake for this trip.  Also, I was also hoping to be more strategic so I could carry on my bag and be ready to dash out of the airport – unencumbered by the luggage carousel – upon my arrival.

So here is where my Type "A-hole" personality – or perhaps my OCD nature comes into play – I am so overthinking this whole pack at this point.  I would be in better shape if all my clothes were Garanimals.  Then I would be able to just mix and match without worrying too much about it.

Here is the thing: I love clothes and, more than anything, I live for the opportunity to have something exciting to actually style myself for.  This trip is no exception. 

I think my problem may lie in the fact that I am over rambunctious.  Meaning, I can visualize myself in at least two – if not more – outfits for each scenario.

Basically, it all boils down to editing.  Which I might add, I have a hard time doing even in my writing so, to have to edit my outfits, is certainly a challenge to me.

None-the-less, it doesn’t take any of the fun away and I am very excited and looking forward to this trip and every fabulous piece of clothing that is lucky enough to make its way to NOLA with me.







 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two In-Vince-able Collections

I Was a Club MTV Dancer

For The Love of Shopping