Mid-week Yoga: Beats This Downward Dog Into Submission




 
To me, Wednesday is my day of spirituality.  Well, as much spirit as one can muster mid-way through the work week.  It seems that the trauma of Monday and Tuesday are behind and, with the promise of another weekend in front of me, I always feel a sense of calm and control right about now.

So today -- in honor of my inner spirit -- I started off the day with a half hour of yoga. 

As anyone who follows this blog knows, I completed a half marathon on the last Sunday of October.  I promptly took the week off from any exercise and luxuriated in sleeping in -- during the week until 6am.  Not necessarily anything to be excited about but, after waking up at 4am a few mornings a week for the past several months, six seemed like noon.  However, despite the early buzz of my alarm clock, I was excited to greet the world with my Sun Salutations.

Well, since it has been more than a year since I have even attempted a series of asanas, yoga beat this downward dog into submission this morning.

My core is strong -- by default -- from all the running I have been doing.  Yet, it has been well over a month since I have done any other sort of strengthening exercises and these wet noodle arms could barely keep my chin off the mat as I attempted chaturanga over and over.  Actually, they are twitching uncontrollably as I sit here and type these words.

However, it felt so good to just stretch my body and it always amazes me how easily my breathing comes while going through the different yoga poses.  I feel as though I spend most of my day with my shoulders hunched somewhere up around my ears and my breathing is as shallow and quick as though I am hyperventilating.

Trying to juggle a busy time at work with my responsibilities as a mom and wife all lumped on top of a myriad of sports and school commitments, I just had to find my own little peace of Zen.

My only deterrent is having to start from the beginning.  I feel that you really have to work hard to get into good yoga shape but, you have to start somewhere and that was on a mat in my living room this morning. 

I would be lying if I didn't say that it was hard and I barely made it through my half hour (which I will hopefully work up to an hour and a half), but it is really the cute Lululemon workout outfits that will keep me going back.

Namaste!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two In-Vince-able Collections

I Was a Club MTV Dancer

For The Love of Shopping