Street Style: Trim Trousers Come Around Again

Sandra Dee
Being almost 5 feet, 8 inches tall, I am elated that Trim Trousers are back in fashion.  You know the style: snug fit through the legs – somewhat boyish looking – with ankle grazing proportions.

According to Wikipedia, also known as cigarette pants, slim-fit pants, stove-pipes or even skinny pants.

I am glad that I can once again display my ankles proudly.  Since my legs are almost as long as my husband’s legs – and he is more than 6 feet tall – most of my pants tend to be trim trousers without my even trying.

But honestly, I love that look.  I have a pair of Marc Jacobs’s pants, which fit me like cigarette pants.  They are a size 4 – obviously TOTAL vanity sizing – but the length just doesn’t make it down over my knobby ankle bones.  I love to wear them with these floral-patterned kitten heel mules. So fun and flirty if you ask me.

Of course, trim trousers also look fantabulous with the myriad of flats that are not only fashion-forward but good to our feet as well. Especially, if you are walking the catwalks at work each day; OK, I mean hallways but catwalk sounded very glamorous.

The look I’m loving best right now, is what Phillip Lim rocked on his runway:  trim trousers with a tuxedo stripe and edgy platforms.
3.1 Phillip Lim

The trim trousers look originated back in the 50s, with stars such as Marilyn Monroe and Sandra Dee wearing pants that were very slim to the ankle. Tapered jeans became notable with country singers around that same time – with the most famous being Elvis Presley. 

Throughout the 60s and 70s, stovepipes or drainpipes were synonymous with rock and roll from punk rock to glam rock to Michael Jackson.

Today, trim trousers are making their comeback in various styles: low, wide waistbands that flatter the hips; the classic chino cut which is my personal favorite; cropped; wild prints; and Lim’s infamous tuxedo stripe.

If you plan to wear this style to work as I do; remember cuffs make Trim Trousers office-acceptable but not necessary.  Also, a loose blouse will balance the diminutive cut of the pants.

Some designers/fashion brands showcasing the hippest trim trousers this season are DKNY, Tory Burch, J Crew, DFV and Tibi – of course, in addition to 3.1 Phillip Lim.  There are so many great styles out there find the look that's right for you and show us those ankles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Was a Club MTV Dancer

Two In-Vince-able Collections

For The Love of Shopping