Megastorm Sandy Batters the Motherland

I have not been in the mood to post this week due to my concern for my family and friends back home in New Jersey.  Hurricane Sandy has wrecked havoc in the Motherland.

I am happy to report that -- so far -- I have been able to confirm that all my peeps are safe but I am so sad for those who were not so lucky.  Sandy made landfall right where I grew up on the Jersey Shore and it is devastated.  Many have lost everything. 

I have had very limited correspondence with my family because they have no electricity, gas or water back home.  Phone service -- cell and landlines -- has been spotty.  They say it could be another week before power is restored.  The water is undrinkable due to elevated sewer levels.  Fires still burn. Power lines are still down and, it is not only still dangerous, but it is a mess.

I feel so helpless and frustrated being all these miles away and unable to help support my family and friends. In the long run, I know they will be OK and the Garden State will pick up the pieces but for now, I mourn for my tribe.




This is the pier and boathouse just before it fell apart into the ocean
The fishing pier in my childhood town of Ocean Grove Photo: Unkown

The fishing pier...gone! Photo: Unkown

Hurricane Sandy damage on the bay side of Seaside, N.J. on Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012. (Governor's Office/Tim Larsen)
The bay side of Seaside, NJ Photo:APP

A building sits in the middle of the road in Belmar, N.J. on Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012. (Governor's Office/Tim Larsen)
Ocean Ave., Belmar, NJ Photo: APP



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Was a Club MTV Dancer

For The Love of Shopping

Two In-Vince-able Collections