Trina Turk Goes Bananas with Palm Springs Chic

The first time I ever noticed a Trina Turk design was more than 10 years ago.  One of my besties Courtney – who is by far my most fashionable friend – turned up at a wedding wearing the most beautiful Trina Turk dress.

For years – every time I had a formal event – that dress popped into my mind.  I wanted to emulate Courtney in that silhouette and print but was never able to find anything nearly as stunning.
Banana Republic

Then my mother-in-law Judith moved to the desert and I was able to live vicariously through her Trina Turk obsession.  With Turk’s Palm Springs boutique mere blocks away from Judith’s casita, I was a frequent wing man but Turk’s high-end line was out of my grasp back then.  Over the years, I’ve been lucky to score a few pieces – on sale – here and there; but I’ve never actually bucked up for a serious garment from any of her collections.

Now I have my chance.

Banana Republic


As of yesterday, the retail giant Banana Republic launched its Trina Turk Palm Springs Chic summer collection throughout 450 stores worldwide. 

The line – which totals 60 pieces – includes dresses, skirts, shorts, button downs, tunic tops and bathing suits. Turk’s moniker prints – with names such as “Deco Palms,” “Pisces,” and “Crazy Botanical” – have a vintage feel but certainly don’t give off a senior vibe – notorious for Palm Springs. 

Banana Republic


Infused with an affordable freshness, garments are priced from $34.50 to $150 about half the price of the high-end Trina Turk line.

It is only fitting that the dazzling Turk, a native Californian, opened her first retail boutique in Palm Springs in 2002.  Since that time, she has grown her realm to seven boutiques including Los Angeles, New York, Fashion Island in Newport Beach, Burlingame, Bal Harbour Shops in Miami, and the new Dallas’ Highland Park Village which opened in 2011. The company has also operates a seasonal store in the tony East Hamptons since 2009.

Banana Republic

After a decade, the collaboration with Banana Republic comes at a time when Turk is focusing on nurturing and growing her brand. 

Along with her former stylist husband – Jonathan Skow – Turk is preparing to launch a menswear collection designed by her hubby himself.  She also recently started selling Trina Turk bedding at Neiman Marcus, Macy’s and Bed Bath & Beyond.  In addition to expanding and renovating her flag ship store in Palm Springs, she has added a jewelry and stationary line to her ever growing empire.

It is becoming a very Trina Turk world.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Was a Club MTV Dancer

Two In-Vince-able Collections

For The Love of Shopping