'I Just Felt Like Running'

Today is National Running Day.

I first celebrated and wrote about this day -- which I hold near and dear to my heart -- last year.  http://allthingsfashionating.blogspot.com/2011/06/running-is-my-prozac.html#!/2011/06/running-is-my-prozac.html

According to Runningday.org’s website, National Running Day, held annually on the first Wednesday in June, is a day when runners everywhere declare their passion for running. Wherever we are and whomever we’re with, we run—fast or slow, alone or with others, all over town or just around the block. It is a coast-to-coast celebration of a sport and activity that’s simple, inexpensive, and fun. It’s the perfect way for long-time runners to reaffirm their love of running and for beginners to kick off a lifetime and life-changing commitment.

When I was in high school, I began my love affair and now, more than 25 years later, my love of run is still going strong.

I vacillate between solo runs but I've also grown so many friendships while out there pounding the pavement with my partners.  My sister-in-law Diana and I braved 26.2 together to celebrate the Millennium and my best pal Rachel and I have logged three half marathons together.  My niece Danielle and I ran a 10K in honor of my mother- and father-in-law -- her grandmother and grandfather -- respectively.
My niece Danielle and I

About a year ago, my good friend Eliza helped me to step up my runs as we logged our miles on soft sand with the waves lapping at our feet. There is something to be said about the beauty witnessed while running. Now, Rachel's sister Jess and I will be committing to the LA Rock N Roll this coming October. 

I am so excited and feel so fortunate to have so many amazing running buddies.

Some of you may be reading this and thinking -- as my son likes to say -- "What the..." 

I know running is not for everyone and you must have the passion for putting one foot in front of the other to understand the gratification that comes with getting those endorphin levels up.  To me, there is nothing like it and you should at least try it too.

When I am running on a regular basis, I feel strong and fast;  I enjoy going the distance and logging the miles.  It makes me feel accomplished which is why I can't stop.  Maybe it is an addiction -- remember those elevated serotonin levels -- but on most days I am like Forrest Gump and, "I Just Feel Like Running."








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Was a Club MTV Dancer

Two In-Vince-able Collections

For The Love of Shopping