Proud To Be a Friend of Ricki Lake

When I was fresh out of high school – back in the 80s’ – I was just coming into my own as a young woman.  I was going to college full-time, but also spent a lot of time exploring my artistic side. I knew that I loved fashion and writing was my calling even back then but, with my new found freedom and a fake ID, I spent a lot of time at the dance clubs in New York City

While I was busy goofing off, a contemporary of mine, Ricki Lake, was making her film debut as Tracy Turnblad, the lead character in John Waters’ 1988 cult-classic “Hairspray.” 

Five years later, Ricki was still realizing her fame with her first talk show – “Rickie Lake” – which premiered on Sept. 13, 1993.  She became the darling of daytime television for more than a decade. 

Ricki’s show was a familiar presence in my home during my young adult years and I was a devoted fan.  Her likable personality and down-to-earth interview style kept me going back for more over the years.  I would even watch “Ricki Lake” when I was home on maternity leave when my son was born.

In 2004, Ricki decided to end the show to spend time with her own family; however, she never really left the spotlight. 

Her documentary about home birth and midwifery, “The Business of Being Born,” was very successful and premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival.  She also competed on the television show “Dancing with the Stars,” among many other projects.

Now, almost 20 years later, Ricki Lake has come full circle and her new venture, “The Ricki Lake Show” is slated to premier in the fall of 2012.

Recently, I was bestowed the honor of being a contributor to the online magazine for “The Ricki Lake Show.” I had the opportunity to share my views on women’s fashion and the dilemma of dressing too young for your age.  Also, I was able to share some wisdom on how to avoid that fashion faux pas.


I want to thank “Ricki” for the opportunity; now that’s a friend.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Was a Club MTV Dancer

Two In-Vince-able Collections

For The Love of Shopping