Jonesing on January

January Jones as Betty Draper
In some Southern California school districts, instead of just getting President’s day off, the kids get “Ski Week.”  Now, isn’t that ironic.  However, I suppose if SoCal kids never get to experience the luxury of an unpredicted snow day than I guess Ski Week is the next best thing.

Both of my boys have been gone since Monday, so I have been in Mad Men Marathon mode since the moment they packed up their skis.  With the pending approach of Season 5, I am desperate to make it through Season 2.  And, with three episodes a day under my belt, I am getting close to realizing my objective.

<><> <><> <><>
January Jones
The only problem is that I have watched so much Mad Men; I’m having a hard time discerning reality from fantasy.

Now, it is no secret that I enjoy watching Jon Hamm as the dashing Don Draper.  To me, he is actually starting to resemble my husband a bit.  Could this be a part of the reality versus fantasy issue?  Now hold on, this is not like when I was obsessed with Twilight and dreamed constantly that Jason had turned into a vampire;  This is more about my hubby being debonair.

But this post is really about Betty Draper who is portrayed by January Jones.  Over the past season of the show, Betty’s character has transformed from a “desperate” 1960s housewife to kicking Don out. 

Her character spends a lot of time drinking red wine – I get it – while trying to come to terms with her crumbling marriage and liberate herself as a woman.
<><> <><> <><>
January at Golden Globes
I have become fascinated with not just the character Betty but the actor as well.  You could say I have a little bit of a girl crush.  First, I love her name and thought for sure it was a stage name; second, she has such a natural beauty; lastly, she is an amazing actor.

For the past 13 years, January has been seen not only on the small screen but on the big screen too.  Mostly recently, she starred alongside Liam Neeson and Diane Kruger in the thriller film Unknown and portrayed Emma Frost in X-Men: First Class.

But it is in her role as Betty Draper that she has received the most attention. So it is no wonder she has been nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award, Golden Globe and Emmy; I am just surprised that she did not win.


But, with the new season just a month away, she has another chance to wow the critics and bring home the gold.  I just hope that I can catch up in time to see it before I grow old.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Was a Club MTV Dancer

Two In-Vince-able Collections

For The Love of Shopping