The Dog Days of Denim

Denim is back in favor. 

I mean, it’s not as though I don’t own more than 20 pairs of denim jeans folded away on the shelves of my own closet. (No joke.)  I think denim has been a wardrobe staple since Levi Strauss first patented his version of the jean back in the late 1800s.  However, what I’m talking about is that denim fashion is back en vogue.

From the runways in New York and Milan to the catwalks of life, denim everything is taking over the world.  It’s not only showing up in denim jeans, but cut-offs, jackets, vests, shirts and even dresses – all in indigo blue – but some in black, gray and brightly colored denim too.  Alas, we must not forget acid wash which is finding itself popular once again.  Although, I predict it will be a very small window.

I mean, we all pretty much live in our denim jeans.  The styles are plentiful for any body type or preference: boyfriend, skinny, straight leg, short, torn, and flair just to name a few.  Jeans can also fall anywhere on the price spectrum. I have a pair of boyfriend jeans from Target that came in at a reasonable $29.99; but, if you are looking at designer duds – such as J Brand, True Religion and MIH among many, many, many others –  they can retail anywhere from for $200 to $300.  
Reese Witherspoon

For years, my husband Jason has been telling me that it is alright to mix denim with denim.  I kept telling him he was crazy that it is so uncool to mix two different color/types of denim but, as usual, I will have to sing the “You Were Right Song.”  (It is too degrading to even explain.)  

Reese Witherspoon, Joy Bryant and Cameron Diaz have all been spotted sporting this trend and it is spot on. 

I am only sad because I had found the softest – worn in all the right places – fitted Wrangler denim shirt at a second hand store in Bisbee, Arizona many moons ago.  It would have gone perfect with my William Rast flairs that I am wearing 24/7 these days.  Unfortunately, somewhere along the way – since the late-90s – I gave that shirt up.  I am totally kicking myself now. 

But on an optimistic note, when I was pilfering my grandmother’s attic back in my early vintage days, I found a Levi’s denim jacket from the 60s.  This jacket – which had either belonged to my mom or aunt – has been with me through my entire college career, it moved cross country with me to California and, now, more than 20 years later, I still sport that bad boy. Although today it is much worse for the wear, a little faded, but I think it still has style.
Juicy Denim Dress

And for this fall, I have my sights set on Banana Republic’s denim trench coat to add a more sophisticated and classical feel to my wardrobe.

I have yet to see a denim bustier coming back for round two, but Juicy Couture has a super cute denim bustier dress which squashes the “if you were too old to wear the first time around rule” as far as I’m concerned.

Some other denim trends are jeans ornamented with rivets, zippers, chains and prints – add a white blouse, a denim jacket, and pair of killer heels and…wah-lah… you are a fashion forward vision worthy of denim god praise.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Was a Club MTV Dancer

Two In-Vince-able Collections

For The Love of Shopping