Reflections: One Year Later

One year ago today, I was back in New Jersey – with my immediate family – to be with my maternal grandmother as she went on hospice treatment. While there, the unthinkable happened; my paternal grandfather passed away suddenly. Two days later, my grandmother succumbed to her illness as well.

It was a double whammy for me.
Back then, I didn’t know how I would bounce back from losing two of the most important and influential people in my life. However, human beings are so resilient and time does heal.

Today, I miss them both dearly but I am able to remember them fondly and without too much heartache. I look at that period of my life as one of the single hardest circumstances that I had to endure, but I also see it as a gift.

I had the opportunity to say goodbye to my grandmother in person before she slipped away. Also, I was able to be with my aunts and uncles – who were always more like sisters and brothers to me – during that difficult time which helped me to gain closure on my grandfather’s death.

If their passings’ had been timed differently, I doubt I would have been able to make the journey back to say goodbye to both of them. So – in retrospect – I consider myself blessed despite the sad circumstances.

The love for both my Nana and Pop Pop lives on through the affection that I have for my family because their legacies continue to exist within us and our children and our children's children.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two In-Vince-able Collections

I Was a Club MTV Dancer

For The Love of Shopping