Soap Good Enough to Eat

So as I was saying, I was in the shower the other day and had an interesting thought about goat’s milk soap.  While at a birthday dinner this past Friday night, my friend Rachel accidentally brushed my shoulder and noted that my skin was soft.  I said thank you and didn’t think much about it until I was in the shower holding a bar of goat’s milk soap in my hand. 


Around Christmas, another friend – Lynn -- had given me two bars of Beekman 1802 Goat’s Milk Soap made by The Fabulous Beekman Boys and I have been using it religiously ever since.  Suddenly, it was like a big light bulb went on over my head and I thought, “It’s gotta be the soap making my skin so soft.” 


I was so deep in thought that I accidentally got some of the soap in my mouth and, although it is soap and quite nasty, it really does taste like goat cheese a little bit. 


Which makes the unique story behind the soap even better.


If you haven’t heard, The Fabulous Beekman Boys is a reality television show on Discovery Network’s Planet Green. The series follows Josh Kilmer-Purcell and his partner Brent Ridge as they learn how to become farmers and cultivate their own brand, Beekman 1802.  Brent, who worked for Martha Stewart, lives at the farm full-time, while Josh – a former drag queen, New York Times best-selling author and advertising art director -- commutes from New York City on the weekends. 


According to Wikipedia, the show is touted as a “gay Green Acres” as it chronicles the couples trials and tribulations as novice farmers.  Along with the help of farmer John Hall, a real farmer, who brought his goats to live at the farm shortly after Josh and Brent purchased it. 


Lynn turned me onto the show when she invited me over for the series’ Holiday special.


Besides the soap, the Beekman Boys are also known for the Beekman 1802 Blaak Goat Cheese – which Lynn served at her party – and it was très délicieux. Much more yummy than the soap.


I was intrigued to find out that she actually bought both the soap and cheese -- not for consuming together -- online; so I had to check it out myself. I was surprised to see that the Fabulous Beekman Boys sell everything from linens to pillow cases to seeds for planting flowers and vegetables to haberdashery at the Beekman 1802 Mercantile online store.


http://shop.beekman1802.com/main.sc


And, if you are an animal lover like me, you will just die over the fact that you can check out the goats – and their pet llama named Polka Spots -- on the Beekman Farm Goat Cam.  It is a wild concept to see, so check it out.


http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/the-fabulous-beekman-boys/watch-the-beekman-farm-goat-cam.html


I have to admit that I was completely smitten with the show and the two gay guys are hysterical.  I tried to get my husband Jason to tune in and watch it with me, but he just wasn’t that interested. So it became one of those shows that I would DVR and watch solo.  However, while researching this post, I was excited to see that the show was picked up for a second season and will premiere on Tuesday March 22 at 10 pm Eastern/Pacific on Plant Green.


And the Beekman Bleat goes on…


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Was a Club MTV Dancer

Two In-Vince-able Collections

For The Love of Shopping