Nautica Malibu Triathlon Humbles Me

 
Mausser Family Affair at Nautica Malibu Tri



 Well the big day came and went.

I am happy to report that I completed the Nautica Malibu Tri Classic Distance today and -- swimming, biking and running beside some really serious competitors was daunting -- I am very happy with my results.  

It dawned a humbling day.  Waiting an hour and five minutes for my swim wave to start was quite excruciating and a bit intimidating.  Within my women's 40-49 age group, there were many experienced racers.  Moments before our gun went off, House of Pain's "Jump Around" roared out of the speakers and more than one hundred 40 year olds got motivated. Forty is definitely the new 20!

The ocean conditions were the best in the 29 year history of the race and clear as can be; However, I did get a few kicks to the face and I did see a very dark 10 to 15 foot shadow below me at one point.  Jason's advice in hindsight:  "IF it was a shark or something that could bite you, it was more afraid of the racers than you are of it."  Hmmm....dressed like a seal and thrashing around with 100 other women dressed like seals...smorgasbord comes to my mind; But hell, I lived to tell about it.

The bike was shortened to (around) 17.8 miles at the last minute and thank you to the event director, Michael Epstein Sports Production.  It was a bit more challenging than expected but I did witness a lot of crashes and bike malfunctions so happy I completed it unscathed.  
 
Shane and Jon Cryer

The run is where I was able to make up my time and I completed the event with a solid 8 minute mile for 4 miles.

I came in 13th in my age group but was only a blip on the radar overall: 671 out of 1,622.

The event was a family affair for the Maussers.  Shane participated in the kids 100 yard dash for 11 and 12 year olds, and placed second.

 At the end of the day, it was really about Children's Hospital Los Angeles.  It was a star-studded event:  Jeffrey Tambor was the awards MC, KTLA's Chris Schauble, Tia Carrera, Phil Keoghan, the host of the amazing race, and John Cryer were among many other celebrities who participated.  (There were a lot of younger celebs but I am so old now that I am out of touch and didn't know who they were...honestly!)

Nautica Malibu Triathlon ended up raising more than $1.3 million dollars for our LA kids and their families who face challenges far greater and are way braver than any Triathlete in the event today.  

An amazing event for an amazing cause!

 http://www.chla.org/
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Was a Club MTV Dancer

Two In-Vince-able Collections

For The Love of Shopping